Monday, October 17, 2016

 Detail of Nippon Vase and Lily-of-the-Valley

After doing the rock and water paintings, I needed to go a different direction for a change. My still life paintings are always enjoyable to do, so I've started a painting of Lily-of-the-Valley flowers. I'm using a photo I took this past May in my garden.

I started the painting last Friday and didn't have a chance to get back to it until today. When I stepped into the studio and took a close look at it, I was disappointed. The greens in the top (unseen here)  were heavy and dull...lifeless. I  took the painting to the kitchen sink and washed off all that was there. When you do this, there is a ghost image left behind.  I was going to blow the paper dry and save it to use the reverse side another time. But then I thought that I might as well experiment with that Nippon Vase. there are many different colors in the little jewel, and now is the time to play with it, just to see how I would handle it in a painting. I am pleased with how it turned out. I've decided to complete the painting after all....this time going easier on the greens of the leaves.
Colorfully,
Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment